In 2012, South Street celebrated our quasquicentennial (125 years) aniversary of being on the corner of South and Elm. Watch the video above to see a few highlights.
The Christian Church in Springfield began in 1834, four years before the city was incorporated. First Christian Church began in that year, organized by Joel Haden, a Federal land commissioner and preacher. After meeting briefly at the courthouse, the church moved to a log building west of the public square that was first used as pioneer educator Joseph Rountree's schoolhouse. South Street Christian was organized in 1886 as the result of a dispute in First Christian over the use of instrumental music in worship, and built its first facility at the corner of South and Elm soon after. Several buildings have served the church at this site. The present educational building was dedicated in 1954, and the sanctuary in 1972. First Christian merged with South Street in 1918, and that congregation's records and artifacts are housed in our Historical Room.
South Street has maintained a close tie to our denomination, as well as the Council of Churches of the Ozarks (South Street being one of the founders) and campus ministries at both MSU and Drury. Beginning in the latter half of the 20th century, Christian Women's Fellowship (now Disciples Women) has been a strong voice for missions, and has generously contributed to the outreach work of the church.
Recently, important upgrades have been made to ensure our building is accessible and useful. The Ozark Lakes Area Office - Bethany Center for Ministry is housed on the upper floor of our educational building, as is the University Child Care Center. In 1997 South Street became the first area church to offer Godly Play (a Montessori method of Christian education). We now use Children Worship & Wonder, which is similar in method but has a stronger denominational focus. In 1999 we created Celebration!, a contemporary worship service.